Tuesday 31 August 2021

Wild Storm

 Well the lightning and thunder was intense last night. I was so pleased to be warm and dry in my house. The thunder crashed and rolled, the lightning struck so quickly I imagined it was happening very close to us.

I turned off the paralympics about 11.00 pm and went to have a hot shower and get ready for my snug sleep.

I was in the shower when the guilt struck! Here was I enjoying natures display when outside in my backyard some animals were not so lucky..

I have told you where the chooks roost at night (see blog 10 May) and I could imagine them cold wet and frightened. A problem with their choice of sleeping decision is that it has to be made before it gets dark. Once they can't see they will not move.

On went my jeans and jersey, raincoat and gumboots. My husband and I went out into the storm to shift them into the henhouse.

The ground was flowing with water, rain was falling heavily and the bush was being blown backwards and forwards with the wind. On their branch the three chooks were huddled close together. One by one we took them down and into what to them was a strange environment - a warm dry roost with my other two chooks.

As I shifted the chooks I was astounded to find the chooks, although they were wet through, were warm underneath. They would have been fine - but I went to sleep happier!

Tell me in the comments how you got on last night.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Mrs Johns, good on you (and your hubby) for going out in the awful weather to look after the chickens. My cat got very scared when the thunder started, so I gave him extra cuddles so he felt safe.
    Kia pai tō rā. (Have a good day.)

    ReplyDelete