Tuesday 14 September 2021

Do you like Noughts and Crosses?

 

Nested Tic Tac Toe

This activity takes the noughts and crosses game and takes it up a notch. Ultimate tic-tac-toe takes a lot longer to play and has a few more rules.

How to play: First, you have to have one large tic-tac-toe board where each grid or square contains a smaller board.

X goes first and can place their x anywhere on the board.

The O player then must play in the grid corresponding with where the x played. Look at where the “x” player played, then compare that to the larger board and that’s the area where the O has to play.

When someone gets 3-in-a-row in one of the smaller boards, they get to place a large X or O on that board.

Players continue playing until there are three large Xs or Os in a row on the larger board.

Let me know if you enjoyed this game. It took me a long time to learn this game - I thought it was too hard - but then it was great. How did you go?

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Mrs Johns. Wow, another gem of an idea. I'll have to find someone to try this out with! I'm not very good at tic-tac-toe so I need the practice! I'm now wondering where the name tic-tac-toe comes from...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just gave me some very interesting reading. I found out some facts I had never thought I needed to know. I wonder if our students can tell us some?

      Delete
  2. Kia ora, I love playing this game as it doesn't take very long but you have to think carefully about where to put your X or O. From memory this is an ancient game, maybe from Egypt. I wonder how many students can find some cool facts about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference with this game is that you are actually playing nine games at a time! Using strategies and trying to trap your partner is really tricky. Hope we hear about how good our students go!

      Delete